2020 General Operating Grants:
General Operating grant awards are made to provide one time supplemental funding to a qualified agency that has demonstrated a budget shortfall. Funds are restricted to operating expenses outside of salaries and must be used for designated purposes as detailed in the grant application.
- Applications available on-line beginning August 5, 2019.
- Applications are due August 26, 2019 by 4:00 p.m. CST.
- An application received after the deadline will be ineligible for funding.
- Award announcements will be released late October 2019.
The following organizations were awarded General Operating grants for 2019.
- Ancilla Systems, Inc., – The Nazareth Home
- Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus
- Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Gary, Inc.
- Communities in Schools of East Chicago, Inc.
- Compassion in Action, Inc.
- Concerned Calumet Citizens Committee
- East Chicago Little League
- East Chicago Urban Enterprise Association
- Fair Haven
- First Baptist Church, Inc.
- God’s Mighty Men, Inc.
- Grace Beyond Borders
- Grace Missionary Baptist Church of East Chicago, Inc.
- Greater Destiny Bible Church
- Greater First Baptist Church of East Chicago
- Healthy East Chicago, Inc.
- Holy Trinity Croatian Church
- Iglesia Cristiana Pentecostes, Inc.
- Iglesia De Dios Pentecostal Movimiento International
- Indiana Dunes Environmental Learning Center, Inc.
- International Institute of Northwest Indiana, Inc.
- JE Wade Ministries
- Meals on Wheels of Northwest Indiana, Inc.
- Mental Health America of Lake County, Inc.
- Ministerio Torre Fuerte, Inc.
- Mission of Jesus Christ Non-Denominational Church
- New Horizons Child Care Ministry, Inc.
- New Second Baptist Church, Inc.
- Our Lady of Guadalupe Church
- Robertson Child Development Center, Inc.
- St. Mary Church
- St. Nicholas Romanian Catholic Church
- St. Patrick Catholic Church
- St. Stanislaus Church
- St. Stanislaus School
- Teens in Action, Inc.
- The Salvation Army
- St. John AME Church
- Top 20, Inc.
- We Care From the Heart, Inc.
- Witnessing Community Development Corporation
Maximum grant request: $15,000.00.
- If awarded all funds must be used between: January 1st – August 31st. All expenditures must be supported by financial documentation. Any funds expended after August 31st will not be reimbursed.
Maximum of one submission per 501 (c) (3).
Municipalities or governmental taxing bodies are not eligible to apply.
- A recognized 501 (c)(3) agency in good standing with the IRS and registered in the state of Indiana.
- In good standing with the Foundations of East Chicago.
Applications not meeting all of the above-listed criteria are automatically denied.
If your organization operates out of a “Home Office” (i.e. a structure that also houses a private residence) you cannot request funding for the following items:
- Rental expenses
- Utility costs
- Capital improvements to your office space
- Computers, office equipment or furniture that is kept within a home office.
- Administrative and staff salaries
- Paid Volunteers
Budget items may include the following:
- Capital improvements (roofing, furnace, air, building repairs –restricted to organizations located in East Chicago and ONLY if organization owns the building)
- Office Expenses (i.e. Supplies, equipment)
- Accounting expenses
- License Fees
- Maintenance and repairs (i.e. snow removal, trash removal, janitorial service, pest control, and lawn care) (restricted to organizations located in East Chicago)
- Attorney/legal fees
- Utilities and Insurance
- Rent/mortgage payments (restricted to organizations located in East Chicago)
- Conference expenses
Note: Other funding restrictions may apply. Please contact Janet Wozniak, email@example.com for more information.