In 1919 the Katherine House in East Chicago’s Harbor Area was built by the local faith based community to serve as a youth center. It stands across the street from the current Katherine House, home of the East Chicago Katherine House Boys & Girls Club.
In 1973 the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Northwest IN was growing throughout Lake and Porter Counties. The East Chicago Club became the third Club added to the Boys & Girls Clubs family. The founder of the East Chicago Club, Lowell Robertson, helped transition the old Katherine House into the now present East Chicago Katherine House Boys & Girls Club. It was built in 1992, and as a contingent of the merger from old to new, girls were accepted as members.
To kick off the 100 Year celebration of the original Katherine House, the new existing building will undergo major enhancements and renovations, due to be completed in 2019.
An anonymous donor is providing an upfront gift of $250,000 to the Club for the project, along with an incentive to earn an additional $250,000 with a $2 to $1 match if written pledges are received by November 30, 2018. Foundations of East Chicago (FEC) helped to meet this match by providing a $500,000 five-year grant.
With the donations from the anonymous donor and FEC, other organizations are also investing in the East Chicago Club’s enhancement and renovation.
To learn more about the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Northwest Indiana, visit bgcgreaternwi.org.